The turkey meatloaf came out beautifully. Not dry at all. We used 1 lb. of 94% fat-free ground turkey, mixed with an egg, sodium-reduced Worcestershire sauce, salt-free ketchup, dried marjoram, and chopped yellow onion.
Divide meatloaf into two approximately equal portions. Put one of the portions into a mini loaf pan that is lined with cling wrap. Press the cling wrap down gently on top to pack the meat mixture, and then lift it out of the pan, and place in on small sheet pan lined with foil. Repeat with the rest of the meat mixture. Bake at 350º for 40 minutes, uncovered.
We ate one of these tonight, and have 1 extra meatloaf in the freezer for another evening!
I pickled some red onions while the meat cooked. Easy and SO good! They are the perfect mix of tang and heat.
Pickled Red Onions
- 1 medium red onion
- ¾ cup white vinegar
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 5 whole dried cloves
- 5 whole dried allspice berries
- 1 small dried chili pepper
- Peel onion. Slice off both ends, and discard. Halve onion lengthwise. (Top to bottom) Slice onion thinly with a knife or a mandolin to make C-shaped slices. Set onions aside.
- Create brine: Place all other ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to a light boil.
- Add onions to the brine. Simmer for 30 seconds, and remove pan from the burner. Set pan aside, and let onions and liquid cool right in the pan.
- When cooled, refrigerate onions in the brine for up to 3 months.
We enjoyed the meatloaf and the applesauce with steamed yellow beans. It was low-calorie, low-sodium, low-carb, and low-fat, but HIGH in flavor, color, spice, heat, and satisfaction!
- mini loaf pan
- 1 lb ground turkey, 94% fat free
- 1 medium egg
- 2 tsp low-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp no salt added ketchup
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 Tbsp Pickled Onions (Recipe is in “Put it on Top!” chapter of this book)
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- This meatloaf recipe makes two 8 oz meatloaves that each serve 2 people.
- Mix thoroughly together: ground turkey, egg, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, marjoram and chopped onion. Then divide into 2 approximately equal portions.
- Prepare the loaves: Line the loaf pan with enough cling wrap that it sticks up about 4″ above the rim. Place about 8 ounces of turkey mixture in the pan, and press it down to make sure it’s well packed. Lift the uncooked meatloaf out of the pan by pulling gently up on the cling wrap. Place the formed meatloaf on a sheet pan lined with foil. Repeat the process. This makes 2 mini loaves. Each loaf is 2 servings.
- * IF saving one or more of these meatloaves for the freezer: Lift the uncooked meatloaf out of the pan by pulling gently up on the cling wrap, and wrap the cling wrap around the meatloaf well, before wrapping it again, in tin foil. Label and date the loaf.
- Cooking the meatloaf: Place sheet pan in the oven for 40 minutes. After removing from oven, there will be some fat around the base of the meatloaf. Scrape it away and discard it.
- Garnish with pickled red onions.