Great tacos are all about the tenderness of the protein and the variety and spice of the toppings. Tonight it’s slow cooked chicken (marinated in 1/3C freshly squeezed orange juice, 2 Tbsp low sodium Tamari sauce, 1/2C chicken broth, and a generous 1 Tbsp of chipotle chili pepper) and other sweet, spicy and savory toppings. After marinating for 2 hours, we put the chicken and marinade in the slow cooker and set the dial to low.
After about 4 hours, we pulled the chicken from the liquid, and they shredded easily with two forks. The liquid in the slow cooker was murky, but without fat. We used the sieve from the fat separator to create a clear broth. The shredded chicken would dry out quickly without resting in the broth, so we placed it on the stove top to keep warm until the toppings were prepared.
Topping include: picked onions, scallions, fresh cilantro, chopped mango, and jalapeño peppers. Yum!
Char the tortillas on the grate of your gas stove burner, if you are lucky enough to have a gas range.
They were FANTASTIC!
Chili Chicken Tacos
- slow cooker
- 12 ounces chicken
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup no-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp ground chipotle chile powder
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 9 stone ground, organic corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- ½ cup sliced scallions
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 large sliced jalapeño pepper
- ½ cup diced mango
- Combine: chicken, orange juice, soy sauce, chicken broth, and two chili seasonings in a slow cooker. Set heat to low for 4 hours. OR – if using a cooked rotisserie chicken: Pull all meat from bones and let meat rest in the orange juice, soy sauce, broth and 2 seasonings for at least an hour. Then heat it up in the marinade and shred the chicken right in the pan.
- Shred the cabbage, slice the scallions and jalapeño pepper, mince the cilantro, and refrigerate.
- Pull cooked chicken from slow cooker and shred with 2 forks. Place back in broth to keep warm.
- Char the tortillas under the broiler or over the burner of a gas stove, if available.
- Plate the tacos with cabbage and chicken, and add scallions, cilantro and jalapeño slices.