Chicken again tonight – This time around with Avocado Cream. It’s a cool and smooth sauce to top off a spicy piece of chicken.
Easy sauce to make: One avocado, 1 carton of Siggi’s plain non-fat yogurt, the juice of one medium lime, and 1 tsp granulated garlic. (You could also use garlic powder.) I put mine in my mini food processor and blended until it was smooth.
Mix together 1 tsp each of the following: cumin, black pepper, paprika, chili pepper and onion powder. Dry two (or in our case, three) thinly sliced chicken cutlets with a paper towel, and then pat spices onto chicken. Pour 2 tsp EVOO in a aluminum skillet and heat oil on medium high. Place chicken in pan when oil sizzles.
Flip after about 3 minutes, and sprinkle spices onto other side. Cover skillet and cook 3 more minutes. Plate chicken. add a small dollop of avocado cream, and sprinkle with chopped scallion.
Spicy and smooth at the same time, cool and heat together. So terrific!!
Blackened Chicken with Avocado Cream
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium avocado
- 5 oz Siggi's plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 medium scallion for garnish
- Place chicken breasts between two pieces of cling wrap and pound thin; about ½" thick. Then pat chicken dry with a paper towel.
- Make Spice Rub: Combine in a small bowl: cumin, black pepper, smoked paprika, chili powder and onion powder. Mix well.
- Make Avocado Cream: Combine in a blender: avocado, granulated garlic, yogurt and lime juice.
- Rub spice mixture all over chicken. Place a cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken, cover, and cook for 3-5 minutes. Turn chicken over, and continue to cook until juices are clear and internal temperature reaches 165º.
- Plate chicken and spoon a dollop of avocado cream on top. Garnish with chopped scallions.