Today’s salsa isn’t exactly farm to table, unless the farm we’re talking about is 2,500 miles away. (Which it is.) Oh well. Couldn’t resist. We were in the produce section getting spinach, when the peaches just jumped out and threw themselves into my basket. When we objected, they argued back. We’d never met such bossy peaches! What’s a gal to do?
Got home, mixed up a batch of jerk seasoning from ginger, ancho chili powder, garlic, paprika, allspice, lemon grass, thyme, nutmeg, pepper, cumin, cayenne and jalapeño. No measurements, just a couple shakes of each one. Coated our fish with it, and seared it in a dry cast iron pan.
We blanched the peaches in boiling water for 15 seconds, set them in a colander to cool, and peeled those 6 beauties in a minute flat. Sliced them up and tossed them in fresh lime juice with jalapeños, red pepper, white onion, and a handful of blueberries.
Savory jerk-seasoned fish, sweet and spicy salsa, sour lemon juice on the spinach. It checked all the boxes. Mmmmm!
Peach Blueberry Salsa
- 4 medium peaches
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ red bell pepper
- 2 large jalapeño peppers
- ¼ medium white onion
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- Fill a large saucepan halfway with water. Turn heat to high.
- Score peach skins with a paring knife, making an X at the bottom of each fruit.
- Submerge the peaches in the boiling water for 15 seconds each, then remove with a slotted spoon and submerge in a bowl of ice water.
- The peach skin should now peel off easily. Catch one of the pointed corners at the bottom of the peach, and pull, using the edge of a paring knife against your thumb. Discard peach skin.
- Slice peaches into small cubes, over a bowl, to catch the juice. Add blueberries.
- Slice stem end off the jalapeño peppers, and discard. Slice each pepper vertically. Scrape membrane and seeds out of pepper with a spoon. Save seeds for later; discard membrane.
- Dice jalapeño, onion and red pepper. Add to bowl with peaches and blueberries.
- Add lime juice and stir well. Refrigerate for an hour in order for flavors to blend together.