Spicy, savory, crisp, smooth. This pizza definitely needs a do-over, only because we want to enjoy it AGAIN!
Bánh Mì is the Vietnamese word for bread. The bánh mì sandwich traditionally includes a baguette-type roll, with pickled vegetables, cucumber, radishes, cilantro, green onions and pulled chicken or pork. Our pizza included olive oil on the raw crust, then pickled radishes, shredded chicken, thin slices of jalapeños, sliced scallions, pickled onion, and coarsely chopped cilantro. The crowning touch is a generous zigzag of spicy roasted red pepper sauce.
Use the pizza dough in the post “Improving our Pizza Game,” and for the toppings: Use Daikon radish or red radishes. Pickle some onions, (see Feb 24 post.) Red Pepper Sauce recipe is below. Scroll down.
Enjoy! Chúc ngon miệng!
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 3 large red peppers
- 3 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 medium shallots
- Halve the peppers and discard seeds and membranes. Place the peppers skin side facing up on a sheet pan lined with foil. Turn on broiler and place sheet pan in on the second shelf, not the top shelf.
- Watch as the peppers char. They should be blackened, but not completely burned.
- Remove sheet pan from oven and put peppers in a bowl. Cover bowl tightly with cling wrap and let them steam for 10-15 minutes.
- While the peppers steam, sauté the chopped onions and shallots in 1 Tbsp olive oil until translucent.
- Remove peppers from bowl and peel charred bits from peppers. Discard it.
- Place peppers, onions and shallots in the blender with the other 2 Tbsp olive oil. Blend until velvety smooth.
- Store in a jar or squirt bottle, refrigerated, for up to a week. This sauce freezes beautifully in ice cube trays.
Bành Mí Pizza
- 1 K2.0 Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- 1 medium cucumber
- 6 medium radishes
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ½ cup K2.0 Pickled Onions
- 1 bunch scallions
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
- 1 large jalapeño pepper
- 8 Tbsp K2.0 Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Prepare pizza dough per instructions, and let rise. Then form into two round pies of equal size.
- Preheat oven to 450º. Slice all the vegetables thin, and chop the cilantro. Poach chicken and wrap in foil to keep warm.
- Bake the two pizza crusts for 8-10 minutes each. Shred the chicken with 2 forks. Remove the pies from the oven and add the chicken on top. Then place all the fresh vegetables on the pizza. Drizzle with K2.0 Roasted Red Pepper Sauce.