This great topping can be used with fish, chicken or pork. We gave this one a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating, as one of the top 5 dinners we have created since beginning this journey in January. Super easy, and super healthy.
Start with 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped, and add 2 Tbsp sharp and sweet mustard, like Nance’s. Mix those two together, and apply to the top of the fish (we used salmon) or whatever protein you are using.
Next, mix together another tsp of chopped fresh thyme, 1 tsp Hungarian Sweet Paprika, 2 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, 1/8C whole wheat Panko bread crumbs, and 2 tsp olive oil. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes after mixing, for the oil to sink into the crumbs. Then spread the mixture on top of the mustard mixture.
Bake on a sheet pan at 400 degree oven for 6-10 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fish. We baked it on the convection setting, which crisped up the topping. If using chicken or pork chops, baking time will increase proportionately.
Before serving, squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top to brighten it up. When we say this was one of the best dishes we have ever made, we aren’t kidding!
A faithful reader has asked us why we never have interesting side dishes that accompany the protein on our plates. 99% of the time, our protein is flanked by one or two vegetables and the complex carbs are incorporated into the main dish. Our philosophy is to make a delicious focal point, and put the calories into making the protein the star of the meal. The vegetables support the meal, but don’t overwhelm it. Last night we sautéed spinach and sprinkled it with fresh lemon juice, and enjoyed a wonderful side salad of sliced white cabbage, carrots, cucumbers and green peppers, with a white vinaigrette dressing. It’s also how we keep the stats for the whole meal under 500 calories and our other criteria for low-fat, low-carb, and low-sodium. If any of you are on Weight Watchers or other plans that allow you to enjoy more robust meals, we will be posting some interesting side dished in the future!
Panko Crusted Salmon with Mustard and Thyme
- 12 ounces salmon fillets
- 2 Tbsp Nance's Original Sharp & Creamy Mustard
- 3 tsp fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Hungarian Sweet Paprika or regular paprika
- ¼ cup whole wheat Panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp flat leaf parsley
- 2 lemon wedges
- Preheat convection or regular oven to 400º. (Using a convection oven will result in a crispier crust.)
- Mince 2 tsp. thyme leaves and mix together with mustard. Spread over salmon fillets.
- Mix in a separate bowl: 1 tsp minced thyme leaves, paprika, bread crumbs, olive oil, and chopped parsley. Spread over the top of the fish.
- Bake in oven until fish easily flakes with a fork; approximately 6-10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.
- Serve with lemon wedges.