They had me at Mezcal!
Inspiration: a Williams-Sonoma Tequila Chicken recipe! We lightened it up, but kept the tequila and added the tacos!
If desired, swap out the mezcal for white tequila.
Marinate chicken with 1/4C each: mezcal, fresh orange juice, fresh lime juice, and 1 Tbsp olive oil. After 30 mins., drain off the liquid, and cook chicken in a skillet on the grill, to get it smokey and flavorful. Cook it on the stove top, if you don’t have an outdoor grill.
My husband had his with radishes, jalapeño and hot sauce. For mine I made a salsa of cubed avocado and jalapeño, with lime juice and a tiny bit of olive oil. Used a little low-sodium hot sauce (Cooper’s), yogurt sauce, and it was dinner! Amazing!
Mezcal Lime Chicken Tacos
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- ¼ cup smoky mezcal or white tequila
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 radishes
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup shredded cabbage, purple or green
- 1 large jalapeño pepper
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 8 stone ground, organic corn tortillas
- Make the chicken marinade: combine ¼C of each: mezcal, orange juice, lime juice and 1 Tbsp olive oil. Whisk well, to emulsify the oil with the other ingredients.
- Cut raw chicken into 3" strips, and add to marinade. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine for Salsa: cubed avocado, sliced radishes, and seeded jalapeño pepper. Add 1 tsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp lime juice. Stir and refrigerate.
- Drain marinade from chicken, and grill chicken over hot charcoal, or in a grill pan indoors on the stove top. Shred chicken strips with a fork.
- Char the corn tortillas over the stove grate on a gas stove, or under the broiler in the oven.
- Plate tacos: Place cabbage on tortillas first, then chicken, and spoon the salsa on top.