Nectarine salsa is the easiest thing in the world to make, and it got rave reviews! Halve 4 ripe nectarines and remove the pits. Place on a hot grill, inner-side down, for 2-3 minutes, or until fruit is soft and grill marks are evident. When cool enough to handle, slice the fruit into cubes, add 1/2 minced white onion, 1 large, minced jalapeño pepper, and 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro. Mix with the juice of one fresh lime, and serve. Adjust the heat by adding/removing the jalapeño seeds and the amount of onion you prefer.
We enjoyed this last evening with pork tenderloin that was rubbed liberally withFive Spice Powder and grilled. You can make your own Five Spice Powder here, or you can purchase it here. Either way, it’s delicious and adds really great flavor to pork.
Broccolini was sautéed in a scant tbsp of olive oil. After removing broccolini from the pan, we tossed 3 thinly sliced garlic cloves into the pan and stirred them in the (nearly) dry pan for about a minute, until they were browned. The hot pan crisps the garlic into crunchy chips. Great flavor boost! (Get a mini mandolin like this one to slice your garlic paper thin.)
Enjoyed the nectarine salsa today on cottage cheese for lunch. It would be also be great on fish tacos, mixed in with a grain bowl, or served on top of whole grain toast. YUM! Simple, scratch prep, with limited sodium, fats, and calories. Checks all the boxes!
Grilled Nectarine Salsa
- Grill, grill pan for stove top, or broiler
- 8 large nectarines
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 large jalapeño pepper
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 4 Tbsp lime juice
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Halve nectarines lengthwise and remove pits.
- Chop cilantro and onion and place in a bowl. Squeeze lime juice into same bowl and mix well.
- Slice jalapeño pepper, and remove membrane and seeds. Save seeds in a small dish to the side.
- Grill nectarines with flat side toward the heat for 2-3 minutes, until grill marks appear, and the fruit has softened a bit. Remove from heat and let cool.
- When fruit is cool to the touch, slice into chunks and add to the bowl.
- Optional: Add a few jalapeño seeds at a time, until desired level of heat is reached.