This dish is a twist on traditional grilled bruschetta. Normally, bruschetta is made with tomatoes, olive oil, fresh basil and garlic, and balsamic vinegar.
This morning we were inspired by fresh cherries and Shishito peppers. We grilled both up over charcoal, and tossed on a slice of whole grain bread as well. (Rub the bread with fresh garlic before grilling.) Peppery arugula and a medallion of Vermont Creamery goat cheese made it savory. Cherries were so sweet and caramelized, and the peppers were smokey and mildly spicy. This is a do-again lunch for certain. It would also make a great side dish for dinner!
Nothing beats that smell!
(Corn is for a future salsa.)
Grilled, blistered peppers can be used in so many ways. You can add them to any kind of tacos, egg dishes, or just plain in a salad!
I wish you could have tasted how good this was! Caramelized fruit becomes sweet and gooey, the peppers are mildly spicy, and the charcoal aspect makes everything memorable! It’s much easier to fire up a propane grill but nothing beats charcoal if you have the time! Grilled Bruschetta is a fantastic appetizer, a wonderful mid-day meal, or a wonderful offering to bring for a summer potluck supper.
Grilled Cherries and Peppers Bruschetta
- Grill, grill pan, or broiler
- 12 ripe cherries
- 12 mid-to-medium heat peppers, such as shishito
- 2 oz goat cheese
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- 2 cups arugula lettuce
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 2 wedges lime
- An outdoor grill pan is the best way to char the peppers and cherries, but if you don't have access to one, use a grill pan on the stove top, or the broiler. Cherries will become soft and juicy; use foil on your grill or sheet pan for easy cleanup.
- Place cherries and peppers on the grill and cook until peppers are blistered and charred and cherries have softened; about 5-7 minutes, depending on your heat source.
- Grill bread pieces until they are browned and toasted.
- Peel garlic and cut in half. Scrape the toast with the raw edge of the garlic.
- Plate toast with warm peppers and cherries, top with fresh arugula, and sprinkle crumbled goat cheese on top. Squeeze lime wedge over everything.