Pulled pork tacos are on regular rotation at K2.0. As long as we stay with a trimmed pork tenderloin, the saturated fat content is well within our limits. Today we placed a frozen tenderloin in the slow cooker for 8 hours on low, along with 1/2 cup water, cinnamon, allspice, smoked paprika, and 3 Tbsp. adobo sauce on top. (We use Kevin’s recipe, but cut out the salt and halve both the sugar and the oil.) Eight hours later: tender, spiced, easily shredded pork. Sodium-free homemade pickled onions, shredded cabbage and salsa verde. Done!
Thank you, Wegmans, for the fruit salsa we didn’t take the time to make! (Ours is better, though!)
K2.0 Mango Salsa:
- 1C cubed mango
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, with membrane removed. (save seeds)
- 1/4C chopped red onion
- 1/2C chopped pineapple
- 1/4C minced cilantro leaves
- 1 kiwi, peeled and sliced into cubes, or substitute ripe strawberries
- fresh juice from one lemon
- zest from 1/2 orange
- 1 tsp. organic clear honey or agave nectar
- MIX, and chill for 1 hour before serving
This pulled pork is good enough to stand on its own, or on a tostada, or on a whole grain roll with some low-sodium, low-sugar barbecue sauce.
Happy Friday, everyone! Enjoy the weekend!