Muesli is the cousin to our K2.0 granola, but without added sugars like maple syrup or oils that bind the ingredients together. Both granola and muesli are made with nuts, seeds, grains and fruits. Muesli is a traditional Swiss-German dish that originated as an appetizer, similar to having bread and butter. It’s still eaten as a light evening dish in Swiss-German households.
What goes in K2.0 Muesli?
Our favorite muesli is homemade, with fresh organic ingredients. The ingredients can be changed up with whatever is in your pantry! This morning’s muesli was made with rolled oats, wheat bran, almond flour, Ceylon cinnamon, slivered almonds, raw pecans, raw pumpkin seeds, unsweetened coconut flakes, and dried fruits: cherries, Turkish apricots, and Goji berries. Health in a bowl! Other suggestions: walnuts, sunflower seeds, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, milk thistle seeds, and alfalfa seeds.
Combine the oats, wheat bran, almond flour and cinnamon on the surface of a sheet pan, mix with our hands, and set it aside.
(Disclaimer: Yep! That’s the same sheet pan we used when we made homemade crackers and burned them to a crisp! You can see the unfortunate crackers ghosting on the surface of the pan! LOL!)
Combine the pumpkin seeds, almonds and coarsely chopped pecans on the surface of a second sheet pan, and place both pans into a 350º oven for about 15 minutes.
Take the nuts/seeds pan out of the oven to cool. Add the coconut to the grains pan, and put it back in the oven for 15 more minutes.
Goji berries go in as well, for the nutrition trifecta!
Chop the berries into small pieces. Mix it all together, for the win!
Store in an airtight container, and the muesli will stay fresh for up to a month. But, we guarantee you’ll eat it before then!
Our favorite way to eat muesli is by making it into overnight oats. Just pour your portion size into a mason jar, add the same amount of unsweetened almond milk, and refrigerate overnight. Slice some fresh berries on top … add chia or hemp seeds … instant breakfast never tasted so good! Plus, it’s super portable, making it a great 9am at-your-desk breakfast!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup wheat bran
- 2 heaping Tbsp almond flour
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup raw pecans
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbsp dried Goji berries
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Combine oats, almond flour, wheat bran, nutmeg and cinnamon on a large sheet pan and toss with hands to combine. Spread evenly.
- Combine almonds, pecans and pumpkin seeds on a 2nd sheet pan, mix well, and spread evenly.
- Put both sheet pans in oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove both pans. Let seed/nuts pan cool. Sprinkle coconut over the grains pan, and put back in oven to toast for another 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop goji berries into small pieces.
- When grains/coconut pan is done, remove from oven to cool. When cool, add chopped fruit.
- Combine in a large bowl and toss well. Store in a airtight container for up to 4 weeks.