Soup is the ultimate comfort food, and this vegan Elote soup is no exception. If you like corn, this one is for you. This recipe was originally written by Susanna Villasuso of “Life, Limon y Sal. Elote is traditionally corn slathered with mayonnaise, crema, and chili powder and then sprinkled with cheese. It is also known as “Mexican Street Corn” because it’s a popular snack sold by vendors both on the streets and at festivals in Mexico. However, we removed most of the sodium, the full fat creme fraiche, the fried jalapeños and the butter, and we don’t miss it!! There is tons of flavor in the stock and the recaudo, we add chili powder, and we use fresh jalapeño for the garnish.
Our last two posts have been leading up to the creation of this soup. Homemade Vegetable Stock and Roasted Tomato Recaudo are both ingredients in this soup. (But we don’t care if you use store-bought stock for your soup, just make sure it’s low or no-added sodium.)
It’s a simple soup to make!
Make (or buy) your stock, and then make the recaudo, which takes only 5 minutes of prep before, and after, one hour in the oven. The recaudo can be made a day in advance, or weeks in advance, if you make it and freeze it like we do. Recaudo is Spanish for “collection,” which is a great way to describe this versatile sauce.
Sauté the onions in either canola or rapeseed oil, and while that is cooking, cut the corn off 5-6 ears of corn. (Or use frozen.) When the onions are translucent and soft, transfer them to a stockpot with the vegetable stock and the recaudo. Then sauté the corn in the same pan as the onions. No need to add extra oil.
As soon as the corn is fragrant, (3-4 minutes over medium-high heat,) transfer the corn to the stockpot.
Add some of your favorite southwest seasonings. We used 1 Tbsp. chili powder and 1 Tbsp. Arizona Dreaming Seasoning from Penzey’s Spices. If you don’t have the Arizona seasoning, it’s fine. Just add 1 tsp. each: oregano, garlic and paprika.
Add a bay leaf, bring to a boil, and turn down the flame to a simmer for 10 minutes. Vegan elote soup is done! Garnish with chopped cilantro and as much fresh jalapeño as you like. Serve with a crusty baguette and a glass of white wine and that’s a wrap!
K2.0 Vegan Elote Soup
- 1 large white onion
- 4.5 cups fresh corn raw, cut off the cob
- 3 cups Roasted Tomato Recaudo
- 4 cups homemade vegetable stock no salt
- 2 Tbsp. jalapeños
- 1 Tbsp. Chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. Arizona Dreaming Seasoning
- Make Roasted Tomato Recaudo. (Recipe found at https://kitchen2point0.com/2019/09/19/roasted-tomato-recaudo/)
- Chop onion and sauté in oil until translucent.
- In a large stockpot, add vegetable stock, recaudo sauce and onion.
- Cut kernels off 5-6 ears of fresh corn. (4.5 cups, if using frozen)
- Sauté corn for 3-4 minutes, until fragrant. Add corn to stockpot.
- Add spices and 1 bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce flame to a simmer, for 10 minutes.
- Serve with chopped or sliced jalapeño and chopped cilantro.