Husband isn’t home tonight, and so it’s dinner for one – Panzanella Salad. Worked all day, and not wanting to either heat the oven or spend too much time on dinner prep. The solution? Crusty baguette rubbed with raw garlic, roasted onion and tomato, ripe avocado and grapefruit segments, with lemon. Heaven on earth. It’s our version of a Panzanella Salad.
This meal is so simple!
Set oven to 425º. Slice baguette into quarters, and halve each piece. Baste two of the pieces with 1 tsp. olive oil, and place on sheet pan in oven. (Wrap and toss the other bread into the freezer for next time!) After 5 minutes, turn off oven and place under broiler until just golden brown. Remove from oven and rub with a fresh, raw garlic clove cut in half.
Slice a small red onion and halve an assortment of small tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil, and place on parchment on a baking sheet and roast at 450º for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
Supreme the grapefruit.
Supreme a medium grapefruit (we chose ruby red) by first slicing off the skin and bitter pith, and then slice between each membrane to remove the tender fruit. Here is a video that describes the process: click here.
Slice your avocado, and start arranging. We started with the bread slices, added grapefruit first, then topped it with cooked onion and tomato, squeezed fresh lemon juice on top, and sprinkled with cilantro. Final touch: crushed red pepper.
K2.0 Panzanella Salad
- 1/4 whole wheat baguette
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium ruby red grapefruit
- 1 small red onion
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- olive oil spray
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- Set oven to 425º.
- Slice baguette into quarters. Wrap and place 3 of those pieces in the freezer for another time.Then slice one the remaining quarter lengthwise. Using a spritzer, spray the cut sides of bread very lightly with olive oil.
- Place the two bread pieces into the oven on a sheet pan for 5 minutes.
- While the bread is crisping, slice onion and tomatoes, and toss with 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a bowl.
- Slice avocado and supreme the grapefruit sections.
- Remove bread from oven, and rub each piece with raw garlic.
- Turn on broiler, and place onions and tomatoes on the sheet pan under the broiler. Watch carefully. They only need about 2 minutes.
- Plate the salad, squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top, and garnish with crushed red pepper to taste.
Since we were the only one at home, we ate this perfection standing at the counter, with a paper towel to wipe up the juices that dribbled down our chin. IT WAS SOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!
Dinner for One. Panzanella Salad. Yes please! (We’d never get away with this meal if Warren was home.) But hey … You gotta grab the brass ring when you have the opportunity! Go for it!