We’re inside the Bermuda Triangle of Gluttony and we need to stay on track with healthy food that tastes great, so Lemon Linguini with Grilled Chicken is our go-to for a perfect weeknight meal. It’s bright, delicious and definitely not ordinary. Eating the same thing over and over creates dietary and nutritional boredom, which for me, at least, created sugar binges. But if we keep our meals interesting, with minimal effort, meals become something to look forward to.
Lemon water – so good for you!
Lemons are an acid that help bring out the flavor in food. But let’s talk about the benefit of including lemons in our diet. No one is going to sit down to peel and eat a ripe lemon. However, the simple act of adding lemon to your water has health benefits. A long time colleague of mine drinks hot water with lemon after lunch every day. I used to think that was so strange, until I tried it and fell in love! It’s warm and comforting and has just enough flavor to keep me sipping.
Don’t like it hot? Try it with ice and a sprig of rosemary. Plus, it’s beautiful to look at. Treating yourself with something special, (even something so simple,) can be an emotional boost. You deserve it!
Why are lemons so good for us?
Lemons are a citrus fruit, with means they contain Vitamin C, which boosts the immune system, helps to increase iron absorption, aids in the formation of collagen, and helps prevent free radicals from causing cell damage that can lead to cancer. One 2014 study found that women in Japan who walked regularly and consumed lemon every day had lower blood pressure than those who did not. Another study the flavonoids in citrus fruits may help lower the risk of ischemic stroke in women. Who can argue with all this data? Vitamin C is essential to health, and lemons are rich in it!
Lemon Linguini with Grilled Chicken is a snap to make, and with this recipe, you’ll make extra, so you’ll have a delicious lunches to eat either cold, or warmed up, for the next couple of days! Or, freeze it in single portions for future lunches. OR, add no-sodium chicken broth to the leftovers, cut your chicken in chunks, and it makes a delicious soup that can be eaten or frozen for future meals. YUM!
We love the ease of buying organic chicken tenderloins. They are a little more expensive than standard chicken breasts, but much more tender.
Cook the chicken any way you like it; grilled outdoors, or in a grill pan on the stove top. Boil the linguini, and sauté the other ingredients. It all comes together in about 15 minutes, so have everything ready. Mise en place.
Here’s the recipe for Lemon Linguine with Grilled Chicken:
Lemon Linguini with Grilled Chicken
- 8 ounces whole wheat linguini
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3.5 cups water
- 9 ounces artichoke hearts
- 6 cups spinach leaves
- 1 cup peas
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 24 ounces chicken breast or chicken tenderloins
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- If artichoke hearts are frozen, place them in warm water to thaw.
- Peel and slice 4 garlic cloves.
- Grill the chicken outdoors, or cook in a cast iron grill pan on the stove top for approximately 3-4 minutes per side.
- Place a medium-sized saucepan of water on the stove for boiling the linguini, and turn heat to high. Once boiling, add linguini, and cook per package directions.
- While linguini is cooking, place a skillet on the stove top with 1 Tbsp olive oil, and turn heat to medium high. When oil is hot, add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add (thawed or fresh) artichoke hearts and spinach. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add half & half (or almond milk creamer,) lemon zest, lemon juice, half the Parmesan cheese and peas, and stir well. Bring to a light simmer for 1-2 minutes, just enough to warm the added ingredients. Remove from heat.
- Drain linguini and stir in the contents from skillet. Mix well.
- Plate, and top with chicken tenderloins. Sprinkle the other half of the Parmesan on top, and garnish with fresh lemon wedges.
It’s light, low sodium, low in calories, low in simple carbs but high in complex carbs, and it’s easy and delicious! Stay on track during the winter months by taking care of your body with delicious dinners like Lemon Linguine with Grilled Chicken!