What the heck is Basian Cranberry Chicken Salad? In our house, that translates to: “Basically Asian.” (Thank you, Alyssa.)
This chopped-shredded-tossed salad is amazing. Everyone loves it. We’ve brought it to pot lucks, summer picnics and we’re always asked for the recipe. There’s a hundred different versions of this salad on the internet, but only one with healthy stats like ours.
It all starts with a rotisserie chicken or any kind of skinless, boneless chicken. Poach it, steam it, do whatever you do to chicken to cook it tender. We use one organic, plain roasted chicken, and chill it first, and then remove all visible fat and skin. Then we shred the chicken into bite sized pieces.
To that we added shredded cabbage, match stick carrots, red onion, 50% Reduced Sugar Craisins, almonds, cashews, cilantro, and black sesame seeds.
Mix well in a large bowl. In the vessel of a blender, combine olive oil, vinegar, low-sodium soy sauce (or liquid coconut aminos,) garlic, honey, minced ginger and sesame oil. Process until smooth. Pour the dressing over the chicken salad and mix well to coat.
It’s super filling, pretty enough for company, and has a great sweet-savory vibe that will keep you making this salad again and again.
Basian Cranberry Chicken Salad
- 1 organic, plain roasted rotisserie chicken
- 6 cups shredded green cabbage
- ¼ cup sliced raw almonds
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- ⅓ cup 50% Reduced Sugar Craisins
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup black sesame seeds
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 2 Tbsp organic, raw honey
- 2 Tbsp minced ginger root
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Chill the rotisserie chicken overnight in the refrigerator. (This step can be skipped but the chicken may have more fat than you want to consume.) The next day, peel skin off and discard. Remove all visible fat.
- Combine almonds and cashews in a dry skillet and turn heat to medium. Stir well, continuously, until nuts are fragrant and start to turn golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Shred the meat from the chicken and add to a large bowl. Add cabbage, cranberries, red onion, cilantro, sesame seeds, and cooled cashews and almonds. Mix well.
- Make dressing in the vessel of a blender by combining: olive oil, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, honey, ginger root, and sesame oil. Blend on high for 30 seconds.
- Pour dressing over chicken salad and mix well. Serve immediately, or chill.