We’re on a lemon run lately, so Greek Lemon Chicken Soup is on the menu! Nothing makes food taste brighter than a little citrus. We need a little more sunshine in our day.
Easy to make, and exactly what this gray day needed! Cut up the onion, garlic and carrot, and sauté them in olive oil. Add chicken stock, and whole wheat orzo. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and lemon juice. Add one cup of stock to the egg/lemon mixture gradually, and whisk constantly to temper the eggs. Once that is all mixed, pour the stock/egg/lemon mixture into the soup pot. Reduce heat, add 3 cups of cooked chicken, (we used organic, plain rotisserie chicken) and 3 cups of chopped, baby spinach. Stir constantly, until spinach is wilted, and serve. Crushed red pepper flakes on top.
Lemon Chicken Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 cup whole wheat orzo pasta
- 2 medium eggs
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 3 cups shredded chicken, white meat only
- 3 cups baby spinach
- red pepper flakes to taste
- Cut up carrots and onion. Mince garlic. Sauté them in olive oil in a large dutch oven.
- Add chicken stock and orzo. Stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered.
- Poach 3 cups chicken in a separate pot for 10 minutes or until cooked. Rinse chicken after cooking to remove foam, and then shred with 2 forks.
- In a bowl, whisk together 3 eggs and lemon juice. Remove 1 cup of hot stock from Dutch oven and pour slowly into the lemon/egg mixture while whisking constantly. Take at least 1 minute to do this.
- Pour egg mixture back into Dutch oven. Stir well. Add chicken and spinach. Stir constantly, until spinach wilts, and serve. Garnish with crushed red pepper.