We live in a divided house. My husband loves chicken wings, but I’ve never been a fan. Sacrilege, being a born-n-bred Buffalonian, I know. And now, they definitely aren’t in the weekly rotation anymore for him. He misses those flavors, though, so we gave Buffalo Cauliflower a try. If you don’t want yours spicy, dial back the hot sauce.
Cut a head of cauliflower into florets and put them in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together no-salt added ketchup, low-sodium hot sauce, and a large egg white. Pour the sauce mixture into the cauliflower bowl and mix well to coat. Then, working in batches, put the cauliflower in a bowl with whole wheat Panko crumbs. We love our convection oven, but if you don’t have one, a conventional oven works fine. (This would also be great in an air fryer.) The cauliflower was then placed on a rack above a sheet pan, and baked at 350º for about 20 minutes.
We made a dip of low fat sour cream and crumbled blue cheese for dipping, and kept our serving of dip to 2 Tbsp each.
This was part of our Superbowl buffet, and it will definitely be made again for one of our Armchair Buffet dinners in front of the TV. Stanley Cup playoffs, perhaps? (A girl’s gotta dream, right?)
- 1 head cauliflower
- ⅔ cup whole wheat Panko bread crumbs
- 1 medium egg white
- 3 Tbsp no-salt added ketchup
- 1 tsp Nance's Sharp & Creamy Mustard
- 2 Tbsp low-sodium hot sauce
- ½ cup low fat sour cream
- 1 oz crumbled blue cheese
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Preheat the oven (convection, if available) to 350º.
- Prepare the sauce: Mix ketchup with hot sauce and egg white. Set aside.
- Cut cauliflower into florets. Wash cauliflower and pat dry.
- Pour ketchup mixture into a bowl with the cauliflower and mix well to coat. Then dredge the sauced cauliflower through the bread crumbs.
- Place the cauliflower on a metal cooking rack above a large sheet pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While cauliflower is cooking, combine sour cream, blue cheese, garlic powder and vinegar in a small bowl, and mix well.
- Serve cauliflower with celery and carrot sticks and 2 Tbsp of the sour cream sauce.