Earlier this week, we posted an easy recipe for Blueberry Lemon Flatbread, and we promised a follow up with a savory version. It didn’t disappoint!
Here at K2.0, we’re always on the hunt for healthier versions of our favorite foods. As with most of our re-do’s, the idea starts with a specific herb or ingredient. The inspiration for this one came from the newly planted herb garden in the backyard.
It was a busy weekend! Lemon basil, Thai basil, standard basil, Italian parsley, curly parsley, French parsley, coriander, garlic chives, variegated oregano, standard oregano, variegated tri-color sage, standard sage, sweet marjoram, dill, spearmint, lemon mint, and thyme; ALL for summertime cooking, grilling, and salad making. I’m drooling! We also planted hot Sriracha peppers, two types of sweet cherry tomatoes, and Warren’s mother gifted us with a huge !!! beefsteak tomato plant.
Rosemary was the spirit that moved us for our meal yesterday evening. Our rosemary came to us from a local restaurant wholesale supply farm that has opened up to the public during the shutdown. The rosemary plants arrived on our doorstep, large and established, making the decision to trim a few stems easy.
We made the same yogurt/flour dough again, with sprouted whole wheat flour and Siggi’s nonfat plain yogurt, but added in a tablespoon of minced, fresh rosemary. Our toppings for the flatbread were a third cup ricotta, with asparagus, cherry tomatoes, red onion and 1/3C shredded mozzarella. It was delicious!
(Prior to baking, for 20 minutes.)
Halfway through dinner prep, THIS happened:
Yep! That’s a Cairn Terrier with his head stuck in a cashew jar. Can’t make this shit up. (Googled dogs/cashews immediately, and there is rarely a reaction, thank God. Pecans, walnuts and macadamia nuts are a definite “no.”) We got the container off his head, dusted him off, and went back to meal prep. LOL.
We sprinkled our slices with a teaspoon of grated Parmesan, because … well … Parmesan! So delicious, and K2.0 approved!! Go for it, tonight!
Savory Rosemary Flatbread
- 1¼ C sprouted, whole wheat flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp fresh Rosemary, minced
- 1 C plain, non-fat yogurt
For on top
- 1 C Peeled, sliced asparagus
- 1 C sliced cherry tomatoes
- ½ C red onion, sliced thin
- ⅓ C part-skim ricotta cheese
- ⅓ C shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Fold yogurt into the flour mixture until it forms a shaggy dough.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface. Fold dough over itself several times, until yogurt is well incorporated. Place dough on a sheet pan lined with parchment. Place another parchment sheet on top, and press with your hands until it forms an oval shape, approximately ¼" thick. Peel away top parchment, and discard.
- Spread ricotta on top of dough.
- Add the asparagus, tomatoes and onion on top, evenly. Bake for 20 minutes, until outer crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Serve warm or at room temperature.