Well the above cartoon isn’t exactly my house, but we do have crab cakes on the regular. They’re easy, delicious, nutritious, and can be made with whatever you have in the fridge. We bake them instead of frying, and keep our add-ins light.
Tonight’s crab cakes are loaded with celery, yellow onion, red bell pepper, whole wheat Panko bread crumbs, fresh lime juice, and eggs. (One yolk, two whites.) Other nights we have added scallions, roasted green bell pepper, fresh cilantro, and a little nonfat, plain yogurt. It just depends on what’s on hand! We always make a delicious sauce for on top. Tonight, we combined roasted red peppers, plain non-fat yogurt, lime juice and a splash of olive oil in the Vitamix blender. Other times we have used 1 Tbsp. light mayonnaise, fresh cilantro leaves, plain, non-fat yogurt, red pepper flakes and garlic powder. Again, it depends on what’s on hand.
I eat only one, my husband enjoys two. There’s always at least one vegetable on the side.
Here’s your recipe:
Refreshing, Light Crab Cakes
For Crab Cakes
- 16 oz cooked crab meat, shells removed
- ½ C diced red bell pepper
- ½ C diced yellow onion
- ½ C diced celery
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white (discard yolk)
- ½ C whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp roasted red peppers, packed in water
- 2 Tbsp non-fat, plain yogurt
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 12 tsp olive oil
- Make crab cake mixture in a large bowl. Mix to thoroughly combine.
- Divide mixture into 8 sections. Form crab cakes with a round mold, a round cookie cutter, or just into a patty shape with clean hands. Place pieces on a plate, cover with foil, and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- If some cakes are being frozen for another day, place those on a small sheet pan or plate, and cover with plastic wrap. After frozen, remove from freezer, wrap in foil or plastic wrap, label & date, and place in a zip top bag in the freezer.
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a blender or whisk to combine.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a sheet pan. Place desired number of crab cakes on top.
- Bake crab cakes in oven for 10-12 minutes, or until sufficiently warmed throughout.
- Dollop sauce on top. Serve immediately.
Do you have YOUR copy yet?
It’s on Amazon!
Click here to order!